Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 29, 2013

My views on mainstream music

Honestly, I don't get it. Its probably because I am at least 20 years older than their target market, so I'm probably not supposed to get it. I'm sure, 20 years from now, these kids will bemoan current music and say, "Music hasn't been good since 2013." But really, the 90s was the best decade for music. Am I right? Well, its the years I was in high school and college; with music being more meaningful when attached to meaningful moments in your life and with all those meaningful moments that you're sure are important in high school and college, naturally, Pearl Jam, Nelson and Hanson rule!

Admittedly, its not all bad. I love a lot of modern country music, Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Lady A, Miranda Lambert -- great stuff. Even Taylor Swift can get me car-singing. There are some really great pop songs too, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.  I rarely drive and that's almost the only place there are music-playing radios in my life.

Most of my exposure to current popular music -- Glee! If not for Glee, I wouldn't know Imagine Dragons, Philip Phillips, Katy Perry. I would never have heard Wrecking Ball, almost by design, if Jake hadn't cheated on Marley. And I like it. A lot. Great song. Well done, Miley Cyrus. Never would have thought those words would ever leave my head.

And, seriously, does it need to be this loud? Music is supposed to be a social experience, of course. But maybe we could keep it social in ways that make sense. If I want to share a particular song with someone, I can share it with one person without having it at such a volume that the people who don't care don't have to care. When I go to the skating rink, I don't need to feel the music in my fillings to enjoy it. In fact, feeling it in my fillings makes it less enjoyable. Turn it down!!!

OK, rant done. Good music is out there. You have to look for it. And if you have any suggestions, I'm willing to listen.

No comments: